Monday, November 9, 2009

Comfort Food With Old Folks

Well, I said I'd get working on my list & I did accomplish a couple of things over this past weekend. Saturday Dan and I took the dogs downtown for a long walk, and decided to walk through the Little Italy farmers market. I was actually pretty impressed by it! Some of the San Diego farmers markets I've been to in the past are pretty weak, but this one had lots of goodies and was good sized. Unfortunately we didn't bring any cash with us (boo) so we're going to make a trip back one of these upcoming Saturdays. I already eyed my purchases: A cute apron for $13, olives, smoked salmon, some fancy french pastries, and of course flowers. On a side note, when I made this list and added "visit all San Diego farmers markets", I had NO idea there's 31 different farmers markets. Oh man. Good thing I love me a stroll through a farmers market!

Now for something I can completely cross off my list. I convinced Dan to go to The San Diego Chicken Pie Shop for dinner Saturday night. We had a light lunch, so we headed there around 5:30. I joked with Dan on the way there that we'd probably be eating with all the blue hairs since we were going so early AND this place is known to attract the oldies as is. We arrive, we're seated, and who's sitting across from us at the restaurant?? The cutest old couple wearing some fancy square dancing outfits. The old lady had a frilly white and red dress on, and her husband had red pants, a button down white shirt, and a red SPARKLY tie. Adorable. They ate their dinner, put their bread rolls in a zip lock baggy (teehee), and left the waitress a $1 tip. The place had a diner feel to it with roosters all over the walls, and the food brought out to you via a rolling cart.

On to the food! It was YUMMY, and oh so cheap. I can see why old people flock to this place. Where else these days can you get a chicken pot pie, potatoes, veggies, rolls, coleslaw (or in my case an apple sauce switch out) AND a piece of pie for dessert all for the price of..drum roll please... $6.50!!! Here's a pic of the pot pie (I cheated and pulled this off the web since I forgot my camera):
And here's a pic of the cherry pie I had for dessert:Dan got the same thing, but had pumpkin pie for dessert, and he tried a cup of their chicken noodle soup. This place sure does like gravy. The pot pie and potatoes were covered in it, and of course when you broke open the pot pie it poured out. We were pretty much convinced that the chicken noodle soup also had the gravy in it. Another thing about the pot pie and why Dan loved it - it had no veggies in it. I could have used some carrots or peas in there, but Dan was very happy with his veggie-less pot pie. haha.

Overall this place was charming, cheap, and served up good home style cookin'. We'll most definitely make a return visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment