Monday, December 21, 2009

Foster Orientation

Here are a few things I learned at orientation this past Saturday:

* You can not give your own children name brand cereal, and feed your foster child generics

* You can not go on vacation with your whole family & leave your foster child behind

* The maximum # of kids you can foster at one time is 6 - and there are people out there who will take the max amount, so they can collect more money

So, the orientation didn't turn out to be the most informative, but it's a required first step. I thought it was silly that the presenter had to even mention the cereal thing, and the vacation thing.. but I'm sure there are horrible foster parents out there who actually do those things. There was an older couple sitting next to us who's very first question they asked was, "Is the maximum number of kids you can take in still six?". They just happened to ask that question after seeing the slide that showed how much money you get for each foster child. Coincidence? I hope so. But I have a feeling they were in it for the money, and that's so sad.

We realized that we also have to go to an adoption orientation, where I'm sure I'll get more of my questions answered. After the adoption orientation we'll decide if this is the route we want to take, and if the answer is yes we do fingerprinting, turn in our application, take 27 hours of training, have a home inspection - and then we wait!! We wait for OUR baby to come home to us, and the thought of that gives me chills.. the good kind. :) We realize this could be a long, messy process. But if the end result is a baby..our baby..it will be SO worth it.

1 comment:

  1. It can be such a rough road, but I'm so proud of you! If this turns out to be the right path for you, I wish you a speedy match. I can't wait for you to meet YOUR baby!

    ReplyDelete