Friday, March 25, 2011

Did I mention?

A couple little tidbits that I didn't mention before ..

Last week I had something pretty scary happen.. well, if you don't count the whole scare of thinking my babies were going to be here at 27 weeks.. my heart randomly starting beating really fast and hard for no reason at all. After about a minute of my heart pounding away, I called my nurse in to tell her. She hooked me up to the heart monitor and my heart was going over 200 beats per minute.

She paged the doctor, they called a cardiologist, and gave me an oxygen mask to try to help, since it was impossible to take a deep breath. This all happened around 8:30 p.m. and it didn't go back to normal until around 11:30 p.m.. right before the cardiologist arrived (3 hours.. seriously?).

The cardiologist explained that apparently I have something called SVT or Supraventricular Tachycardia. You can read about it if you'd like here. The cardiologist explained that it will probably happen again at some point in my life, it most likely was triggered by all the blood flow from being pregnant with twins, but it's not something that will kill me or make me die sooner. Yay! They did an EKG the next morning, and everything looked o.k. I have to say though, I am SO happy I was at the hospital when it happened. If I was at home I probably would have freaked out a lot more and wound up in the ER.

Ok, second little tidbit.. I'm being treated as if I have gestational diabetes. Since I never got to take the 2nd gd test they've been taking my blood sugar while I'm here, and they've put me on a diabetic diet. boo. I get the same breakfast every morning.. wheat toast, scrambled eggs, and I switch back and forth between sausage and bacon. The other meals are all pretty ho hum, and forget about having Dan bring me yummy treats.

The menu tries to make everything sound delicious.. but I know better now. For example, one of my choices for tomorrow night's dinner is Grilled London Broil: Carved beef served with a mushroom sauce, baked potato, sour cream, and zucchini. Sounds yummy, right? Well, the beef is so overcooked it's like beef jerky, and the potato is teeny tiny and pretty dried out. I would seriously KILL for an In-N-Out burger, fries & milkshake. YUM. My tummy seriously just growled thinking about it.

I'll have to continue the diet when I get home from the hospital, but at least I'll have more choices. I get the same snack every day of saltine crackers with string cheese, then fruit, a piece of wheat bread & peanut butter. Rinse & repeat every single day.

Alright, enough complaining though. The babies are cooking, so I need to focus on that. Hopefully I won't be able to indulge in In-N-Out for about 8 more weeks. :)

I'll leave you with a 28 week bump pic, straight from the hospital room. Yesterday was supposed to be my maternity photo session on the beach.. but I guess this will have to do!

4 comments:

  1. Seriously, could you look any more adorable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary about the quick heartbeat! On a happy note, you look adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary, I am so happy you are ok. You keep those babies cooking as long as possible. Your diet sucks... I feel for you, but anything for the babies. I have my GD test on Tuesday so I hope everything is ok... I swear carrying twins is like a day by day thing. One day everything is ok and the next you have something new thrown in the mix... Still keep em cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO true, Mari! I knew a twin pregnancy had it's risks, but I really didn't expect to be where I am right now. As long as they keep cooking, it will all be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete