Tuesday, January 5, 2010

No Excuses!

This is what I told myself when I was driving home from work today - after running a few excuses through my head, as to why I shouldn't go to the gym. But I pushed those excuses to the back of my mind and thought about how great I would feel after a good workout. So, I went! yay! While on the elliptical on steroids (the one with the arm lungers) I realized I have two gym related fears: 1) The machine I'm on is going to break, 2) My workout pants are going to split and everyone will get a looksie at my big white butt. I figure the more successful I am at losing weight, the more these fears will go away! Now that's motivation. haha.


I'm only two days in, but I'm proud of myself for 2 days at the gym, and 2 days of healthy eating. I just have to keep it up and I should see some sort of improvement when I weigh myself next Monday. We'll see..


Anyways, yesterday I made a recipe from my Trader Joe's cookbook - Soyaki Broiled Salmon. It's soooo good. I made whole wheat couscous and steamed broccoli with it. Dan ate everything on his plate, including the broccoli! I just about dropped dead of shock. Here's the recipe if you're interested! We used 2 salmon fillets, and cut the below recipe in 1/2.


4 (6 oz) salmon fillets

1/2 cup Soyaki or Veri Veri Teriyaki (these are Trader Joe's sauces, so I apologize to anyone who doesn't have a Trader Joe's near them. You can probably make your own with some soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds)

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

2 green onions, chopped


1) Preheat oven broiler on high setting. Position rack on 2nd rung from the top, about 6 inches from heat.


2) Combine Soyaki and mustard. Pour over salmon and let it marinade for 10 minutes, while oven is heating. hint: we marinaded ours for 20 minutes, and you could actually marinade it for longer than that.


3) Place fillets on a foil-lined baking sheet, skin side down (we used a broiler pan). Discard used marinade. Broil salmon for 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily (ours took about 7-8 minutes).


4) Top with green onions.


voila!



2 comments:

  1. Yum - I totally used to make something like this when I first moved out on my own. Deelish!

    Lady, I will PAY you to mail me some Veri Veri Teriyaki (that stuff is so good). In fact, I need a whole Trader Joe's care package!!! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I love me some Trader Joe's, and I don't think I can live without 2 buck chuck. hehe.

    You'll have to send me a list of your faves so I can send you a care package. :)

    ReplyDelete