Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pinch an inch.. or two.

Yesterday was my appointment with my doc to discuss next steps & possible upcoming IUI. I had Dan go with me, and he liked the doc just as much as I do. yay!

So, after a discussion with the doctor he tells me we might want to try follicle stimulation & an ovulation trigger shot. The follicle stimulation requires me to get a shot of medicine (follistim) in my belly, every night for ten nights. ouch. They'll monitor me via ultra sounds and when it looks like my follies are at the right size they'll give me the ovidrel shot (to trigger ovulation), again in my belly.

The doc gave me my kit, equipped with the syringe pen and needles. He walked me through how to change the needle, how to insert the medicine, and how to give myself the shot. I told Dan to pay attention, because there's a very good chance I'll wuss out and he'll have to do it. haha. The needle isn't quite as big as the picture above, but pretty close. hehe..ok, that's a little bit of an exaggeration. When the doctor told me I would "pinch an inch" of my belly fat, I told him that wouldn't be a problem.. I can probably pinch at least two. hardy har har.

This will cost us some where around $750 out of pocket, BUT, I'm hoping my insurance will end up paying for it. They said they don't pay for fertility meds (including clomid), but my clomid was covered. So, we'll see! The IUI would end up being around $1200, so not much more, but the doctor seems to think we'll have about the same success rate doing either. So, we'll try the cheaper, less invasive option first. If this doesn't work we'll probably move on to IUI.

So, that's the plan! Of course I have to try to stay hopeful for this cycle, since I'm not out yet. I'm only about 6 dpo, but I'm mentally preparing myself now for this next step. And for once in my life I'm actually thankful for the amount of flab around my mid section. It will make for quite the cushion for the upcoming needles!

1 comment:

  1. I know you're going to be a rock star at this! I really hope this is all it takes for you, hun!

    ReplyDelete