Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Exciting Stuff!

Yesterday's post was totally sad an dreary.. I know. And if I'm being totally honest, I had to close my office door when I wrote it, because I couldn't do it without crying. UGH. I'm such a cry baby these days.

SO.. today's post is going to be about something a bit more happy & exciting... My IVF consult! It's probably odd to some that my IVF consult would be a happy & exciting thing, but to me it's the one thing right now that gives me some hope. Next month will mark two years of trying to get pregnant.. and about three years off birth control. I'm SO ready to move on to something more aggressive.

On to the consult. It was GREAT. Dan and I met with Dr.Garzo, who looked over my medical records, & asked us some basic questions.

Then he did an ultrasound.. which I was totally not expecting! He said my left ovary looked good, but my right was on the large side and "text book polycystic". Hm.. why nobody has mentioned that before has me baffled. I'm already on metformin though, so he asked me to double my dose. I asked him if there's anything I can change in my diet to also help and he said it doesn't hurt to cut back on sweets and whites.. white rice, white bread.. you know, all the good stuff. doh!

After the ultrasound we sat down and talked some more.. he told me with everything considered he would say I have up to an 80% chance of IVF working. WOOT! Of course the pessimist realist in me thinks "holy crap.. WHAT IF I fall in the 20% who are unsuccessful!". I don't know why I like torturing myself.. just do.

Next was the sit down with our IVF Coordinator. And the weirdest thing.. I sat next to her in a math class I took at a local community college! It was probably seven years ago, but I KNOW it's her. Such a small world. Anyways, she went through all the pre-IVF testing we'll have to do, and then went through a mock calendar of what the actual IVF cycle would look like.

Lastly, we met with the financial girl. She went through the pricing of everything.. and since we don't know whether we'll do ICSI, and how much meds will be needed, we're estimating the total cost at $12-15k.

So, that was the visit in a nutshell. I'm still hoping this next IUI will be the lucky one, but if not at least I feel comfortable knowing I'll be in great hands during our IVF cycle.

Oh, and when we came home from the IVF consult this was in our mail:

Dan picked it up, showed it to me and said "Look, babe! We don't need to do IVF.. Old Navy has babies on sale!!!" hehe.. silly hubby. We could watch some parade of babies (The Parade of Cute!) go by and pick out the one we want. If only it were that easy!

1 comment:

  1. Boooo! Blogspot ate my first comment so I'll try to replicate it lol.

    I know how you feel about being excited for your IVF consult. I was excited for mine too. Best of luck on our upcoming IVF! I have faith that this is it for you and YH. Also, email me if you think you might need PIO for after the IVF since I still have some (I even have plenty of needles).

    ReplyDelete