Friday, September 10, 2010

Foodie Friday: Sausage Spaghetti Spirals

This week I tried a new recipe out, from allrecipes.com.. Sausage Spaghetti Spirals. I had some spiral whole wheat pasta in the cupboard, and wanted to find an easy recipe with just a few ingredients. Success!

I sort of messed up and bought some ground Italian seasoned lean turkey meat.. instead of actual Italian sausage. I think I definitely would have gotten more flavor in the dish if I would have bought the Italian turkey links.. and just took the meat out of the casings. Oh well.. next time!

It was really yummy, and it makes a lot. So, if you try this recipe out, be prepared for left overs.. unless you're feeding family or friends.

Sausage Spaghetti Spirals

Ingredients:
1 lb bulk Italian sausage (see my suggestion above if you want to make this healthier)
1 medium green bell pepper
5 cups spiral pasta (this was a whole box of my whole wheat spiral noodles)
1 (28 oz) jar meatless spaghetti sauce (my jar was only 24 oz, and it was fine)
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used the less fattening low moisture mozzarella, but I probably put more like 2 1/2 cups on it. I'm a cheese-a-holic)

Directions:
Cook and drain pasta
While your pasta is cooking, chop the bell pepper
In a skillet, cook sausage and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain
Stir in pasta and spaghetti sauce; mix well
Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2in. baking dish
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
Uncover; sprinkle with cheese.
Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted

Super simple, easy (even for me) to make, and tasty. We ate this with a side caesar salad and it was a perfect Football watching meal.. in front of the t.v. Don't judge. :)

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment