Friday, September 24, 2010

Foodie Friday: Wakey Wakey, Eggs & Bakey!

I have a good friend that used to love annoying her boyfriend by waking him up in the morning by yelling "Wakey Wakey, Eggs & Bakey!!!!!!" .. get it? Eggs and bacon? It's annoying.. which is why I sometimes like to wake Dan up with this same cheesey, annoying rhyme. hehe.

Anywho, I'm talkin' breakfast today. Wonderful, yummy-ful, craveable breakfast. Arguably the best meal of the day. Why do you think people sometimes eat breakfast for dinner? Ok, maybe it's because they only have eggs, pancake mix and syrup in their kitchen, but whatevs..it's fun!

I should add that nothing on this post is a part of the less carbs, less sugar diet. Bad Lolo... bad.

I finally get to cross another thing off my list... having breakfast at Cafe 222. It was good..not craaaazy good, but good nonetheless. I ordered one of their "famous" waffles, and just had to try a side of their tamales. I know, I'm a big fat fattie.  Dan had some homemade corned beef hash & eggs. Mmmmm...delish.







If you just happen to be in the downtown San Diego area, I would recommend giving it a shot. Bobby Flay picked their Peanut Butter Banana Bread French Toast as his best breakfast pick for the show "Best Thing I Ever Ate". I didn't order that because..well.. I'm just not into french toast.

Now.. if we're talkin' about one of my top 3 breakfast joints in San Diego, I have to tell you about Kono's Cafe, in Pacific Beach. We always have a couple hours to kill between dropping off Dan's goods, and going in for the actual IUI. Since it was a week day we took advantage by eating at Kono's.

The key is going before 9:00 A.M, and on a weekday.. otherwise you'll be in a line out the door and good luck finding a good seat on their outside patio, overlooking the beach.

Here's the view from the patio..


It was still early.. so gloomy, but that's the pier on the left. There are tons of guys surfing but my picture sucks and you can't see them.

The most important part.. the food.



How yummy does this look? Seriously. It's so good. (just ignore the big bite I took out of my toast before I took this picture. oops) This, my friends, is what they call the "little breakfast". LITTLE. Eggs, 3 thick sliced pieces of bacon, toast, and a mound of cheesey potatoes. Their "big breakfast" is all that plus pancakes. Whoah. The little breakfast is only about $5.75.. so cheap! Aaaaand, they have fresh squeezed o.j. Mmmmm.

We went there after the last IUI that technically worked, so we figured we'd go there again and see if it's the lucky breakfast. :)

P.S. Last night's "secret" band at the party did turn out to be Dave Matthews, minus the band. He performed with famous guitarist, Tim Reynolds, who by the way was pretty amazing. Dave Matthews was cleeearly drunk (& possibly stoned) but he was hilarious and put on a good concert. I've seen Dave Matthews perform with the whole band, so it was cool seeing him play an acoustic performance.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, now I want breakfast. RIGHT NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously - this is torture! I adore breakfast and now I'm sitting here drooling for the Peanut Butter Banana French Toast...and all those other yummy dishes you had.

    ReplyDelete